My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.markedly.com.au
and update your bookmarks.

U2 I Still haven't found what I'm looking for


Back in the late 80's mid 90's a favourite pastime of some sections of the mainstream evangelical church was u2 bashing. I remember Christian Uni students wandering around with t-shirts which had "I've found what I am looking for" on the front and with "U2?" on the back. There seemed to be an implication that as a Christian you were meant to be triumphant, have it all together, know the answers. This malady is evident in some sections of Christendom today as well.

The problem with criticising U2 for their faith, and in particular all the critiques that came about because of this song, is that I don't think people listened to the words!

" You broke the bonds
You loosed the chains
Carried the cross
And my shame
You know I believe it
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for"

Has such a clear proclaimation of the good news about Jesus ever sold so many copies?

Bono and crew are sharing something we all know the be true, though we are saved, and know Jesus, we are still on this side of heaven. The Kingdom has not yet been established. Christ shouted out in triumph, "It is finished", but at the time He was about to die on the cross, deserted by His followers!
It is this very paradox of the Christian faith that Bono has so eloquently captured in this song.

0 comments:

Post a Comment